Tuesday 26 January 2010

Heartbeat

One, two, thwee...so you go bringing a smile that reaches our souls. Happy third birthday our light. I probably hug and tell you twenty times a day how much I love you but I never thank you.
Thank you my child for gracing our lives with your beauty, gentleness and joy. When I speak sharply to you your face falls and you try to come close to me and touch me. Today I screamed at you and you began to cry. When I did not respond you said, "I want to give you a hug, Mama." As we hugged you said, "I will not do it again." and my heart broke! You are only three sweetheart, you are supposed to throw tantrums not cuddle my anger away.

Thank you for teaching me to breathe deeply. Life is so busy and I often feel out of control trying to cram as much as possible in a day. Everything I do is in sharp contrast to our 10 minute walk to/from nursery. You teach me to slow down and smile, to look around and breathe a little easy. We make silly rhymes, say 'bad man' for every piece of litter
we see on the way and I try to answer your " what I do today?" as imaginatively as possible. You need company all the time. You would probably not need a single toy if we had enough people around.

Thank you my jaan for your bright smile, twinkling eyes, your healing touch and the spring in your steps. Thank you for the stories you make up always beginning with "once upon a time..." they always bring a smile. Thank you for being a big girl and "not a baby" as you love to say with your face all scrunched. We loved you crazily when you were a baby and are even more smitten with the "big girl" that you are becoming. You are our pride, our joy, our heartbeat. Happy Birthday Beautiful! May you live a long joyful adventurous and fearless life!
Your Papa and Mama

1 comment:

SS said...

That's a beautiful birthday message. I've realised that I've become a much happier person ever since motherhood happened. I laugh so many more times a day now - thanks to the stories, smart replies and antics our our big boys/ girls.