Friday 12 November 2010

For Chachaji

Written on 12th November 2010

I lost my uncle today. When I got the news I was at home with D. H was travelling and out of reach. I couldn't tell my sister as she is expecting her baby anytime and I didn't want to upset her. It was Friday night so I did not want to disturb my friends here.

And in this beautiful big house thousand of miles away from my family with all the modern means of communication - laptops, phone lines, ipad, iphone, broadband internet...I felt alone and incredibly sad. What is the point of it all? Your family has nurtured you and you are not even there when they need you.

I met Chachaji earlier this year for a very short time. I was leaving just as he reached. He looked so old and frail. I wept so much looking at him. He held my face in his hands and gave me a kiss. And I cried. I thought the tears were for him but they were really for my childhood. In his eyes I was still a little girl. With his passing, I have lost a piece of my childhood.

Rest in peace Chachaji. Thank you for everything.

No comments: